Hi! I am Taryn Boyd, owner Blu Hippo Photography. I am a natural light photographer based out of Pittsburgh, PA. My biggest passion is maternity and lifestyle newborn photography. When I am not photographing and running my business, I am hanging out with my soulmate and our two beautiful boys, riding bikes, saving animals, drinking good beer, and living every day to the fullest.
My current life motto…”always let your conscience be your guide!”
It is so hard to answer this question. My love for photography goes back for many, many years. My grandfather was a hobbyist turned semi-pro photographer and I remember falling in love with it then. For years, it was my dream to have my own business, but I wasn’t actively doing anything about it. It’s funny how when you put your dreams out there – things start to come true.
I started about 3 years ago. I ran into an old friend who had (and still does) an amazing photography
If I had 3 words I would say: dreamy, romantic and full of emotion. My goal with every session is to create emotion in my photograph that will “punch you in the gut”. That’s how I like to feel when I look at a photo.
I have a Nikon D700, Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC, Nikkor 50mm 1.4, Nikkor 105mm 2.8, Nikkor 35mm 1.8 and a Tamron 10-24mm 3.5.
My 70-200mm. I love that lens!
Wow…. I don’t think I did. I did shoots for $150 – all digitals – but wasn’t running a business on it. I was building a portfolio, learning, and experimenting. I just wanted a little compensation for my time.
Well I guess I charged $175 for everything and now with session fee and just the digitals I’m at $1675.
· Newborn photographer: Emily Burke Photography (my dear friend too)
· Wedding photographer: Elizabeth Messina
· Lifestyle photographer: Me (b/c I have a breakout session coming out on lifestyle newborn photography in August), then Leah Cook
· Most inspiration person: if we are talking photographer it would have to be Brooke Shaden. (I just went to my first workshop ever and it was with her, amazing experience)
That was fun…love games!
– Prop vendor: Laugh and Grow Press, I am not a prop-y girl but I love her card templates for holidays and newborns.
– Photography Book: Understanding Exposure, Peterson
A real estate agent maybe. I love looking at older homes. I always wonder who’s lived there and the love or sadness that has gone through the home.
To have thick skin then know that as long as you are creating things that make you happy, inspire you and make your heart happy, then that’s all that matters.
Flash… I know nothing about it and it scares me. I think I’ll stick to natural light for now. ha!